To go along with my 90 Day Challenge, I’ve done a lot of research regarding proper nutrition, trying to find a perfect balance of what to eat and when. Maintaining a proper diet is difficult and frustrating to turn into a regular habit, but being a 27 year old bachelor – I’ll admit that these Turkey Meatloaf Muffins are so easy to make! They’re also absolutely delicious!
Within 10 minutes, I’d mixed all the ingredients into a bowl with my hands – just like making home-made burgers – and thrown them into the oven. 40 minutes later and one episode of Suits (my favourite new TV show) later, I was indulging in a seriously tasty, spicy snack!
Here’s what you’ll need from your kitchen to make these protein packed snacks:
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
(I had to go out and pick up a few dried spices that were missing from my pantry, but it was worth it. Now I’ll have everything I need when I want to make these delicious treats again.)
When you have all the ingredients, here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
- Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
- Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. (Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball or a little larger than a ping pong ball.)
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Here’s a better turkey ball size reference for you
This recipe should make about 12 Turkey Meatloaf Muffins. They’re a healthy and flavourful way to eat clean, and they’re perfect for a mid-morning/mid-afternoon on-the-go snack.
- Women: 2 muffins
- Men: 4 muffins
- Calories: 80
- Fats: 2 grams
- Carbs: 4 grams
- Protein: 11 grams
While writing this, I can’t help but think about how versatile this recipe is. Use the same ingredients and improvise – make burgers, ground steaks, meatballs and anything else you can think of.