I ran across this lecture quite some time ago and I thought I’d share it with you. Ultimately the lecture is about being purposeful in all that we do and to align ourselves with people that have the same belief system and values. The lecture outlines examples of why companies like Apple have made it big and have become so ubiquitous in our society. Primarily it’s because of their method of thinking that is actually in reverse to how all of us think. Take a look at it in the link above!
This is the “Golden Circle” that Simon Sinek talks about. Most of us think first about the “What” then the “How” and finally “Why”.
Let’s make a fitness example:
- Many people come into Blitz Conditioning and talk to a personal trainer with one goal: ”I want to lose weight” this is essentially “What” I want to do.
- The next part of the conversation usually ends up as: “I’m coming to you because I need help losing weight” this is the “How”
- And unfortunately most people never even get to the “Why” aspect since they are so focused on the “What” they want to accomplish.
Another Example of this is:
- Someone comes in feeling pain and they talk to our massage therapist saying: “my neck hurts” this is the “What”.
- The next part is: “I want it to go away so I came to you for a massage” this is the “How”
Simon Sinek really enforced to me to think about the purpose or the “Why” we do things and then branch off into the “How” and “What”. He states the claim that great minds and companies think this way and that our brains are hardwired to think in this way too but we choose to ignore it for instant gratification.
We should stop thinking about weight loss and start thinking about who we are as a person.
“Why do I want to get healthy?”:
- am I not satisfied with who I am on the inside?
- am I entirely satisfied with who I am on the inside but I know I can affect others more significantly when I change the outside?
- is my current lifestyle something internally and outwardly destructive, so I want to create change in my lifestyle?
- do I want to be surrounded by a positive and goals oriented community?
“Why am I feeling pain?”:
- am I holding psychological stress that is manifesting itself into physical stress?
- is my current lifestyle creating this physical pain?
“Why am I in my curent profession?”
- do I want to create affect in others?
- do I think that I’m making a difference through my profession and that this is the maximal way that I can grow in a community?
We as individuals, as our team, and as our community at Blitz Conditioning are focused on the “Why” we exist, and ultimately it’s because our goal is to help change lives and create affect in others in our immediate community and our city.
Spend some time today and really ask yourself ”Why”. We would love to hear your reason!