Who hasn’t experienced the guilty pleasure of a tasty pumpkin scone, cheesecake, or bread at the local coffee shop? Unfortunately, they’re pretty unhealthy, but they’re so darn delicious! If only there was a healthy down-home pumpkin piece of heaven that someone on a diet could enjoy…
Well, there is! You might not have guessed, but pumpkin is a very nutritious fruit offering a bunch of great health benefits. Unfortunately, those benefits are usually offset by adding too much sugar, simple carbs, and fat. However, this recipe proves that you can throw a whole mess of healthy ingredients together to make a pumpkin protein bar that’s soft, supple, and sinfully delicious.
- ½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal)
- 1- 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground clove
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1- 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
- 2 C oat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated.
- Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and back for 30 min.
Makes 24 squares.
Nutrition (without walnuts):
- 1 square = 47 cal
Originally posted on bodybuilding.com