Mindfulness is the practise where the person is intentional and aware of their actions. There has been a lot of success in psychology by training people to be less compulsive and automatic in their thoughts and actions; this has led to a decrease in mood disturbance and stress.
How do we apply Mindfulness to Exercise?
1) Start off by clearing your mind before you exercise! Distractions and stresses in your life affect your physiology, weight retention, and performance. The moment you feel as if you are not focused on the workout, take a deep breath and re-focus on your actions.
2) Concentrate on the exercises and continually ask yourself questions like:
- where am I feeling this? is it in the right muscle group?
- what’s my core doing in every exercise?
- what’s my exertion scale in 1-10? am I floating around a 6 – 7?
3) Concentrate on how you feel after:
- do I feel refreshed?
- how are my energy levels the day after or two days after?
- how am I mentally feeling after exercise?
The extension of Mindfulness based practises to exercise allows us to really feel the effectiveness of exercise. We move away from just weight and comparative performance into a true sense of holistic health!
What do you think about Mindful Exercise? How can you apply it to your current regimen?