Every year during the holidays people around the world empty their wallets buying gifts for others and fill their belly’s with big celebration meals.
If this is you, here’s how you can reverse it with these 5 tips for after your holiday eating binge!
- Start your day off right with a detoxifying mix of hot water and lemon instead of making your usual Starbucks run. Not only will you save yourself the cost of a specialty drink, you’ll also save yourself the unnecessary calories.
- Save yourself time and money by making big patches of wholesome meals that you can freeze for lunches or a quick and hearty supper. Focus on purchasing fresh veggies (as most are relatively low-cost) and make sure to buy whatever dried foods you can in the bulk food section, such as lentils, barley, brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc… These healthy meals will keep you from needlessly spending money eating out and reaching for over-processed, pre-packaged junk food.
- Consider going vegetarian for one or two days a week. Not only is adopting this practice good for your pocketbook, it also gives your digestive system a much-deserved break. Another bonus? Consuming less meat is an economically and environmentally sound practice.
- Amp up your fiber intake! Whole grains, veggies and fruit are cheap to buy and will keep you feeling full and satisfied over the course of the day. Increasing your fiber is a cheap and easy way to lower cholesterol, decrease high blood pressure, stabilize blood sugar levels and eliminate toxicity within the body. By sweeping through the digestive system like a scrub-brush, fiber effectively removes hardened waste buildup in the colon, allowing for better assimilation and absorption. It is absolutely key to make sure to drink adequate amounts of water in order to promote proper cleansing.
- Lay off the alcohol or cut it out entirely. Give your liver, your kidneys and your cash flow a break after over-indulging yourself over the holidays. Alcohol consumption is notorious for packing on the pounds and making us feel sluggish and lethargic. At the end of the day, you will feel more clear-headed, more focused and you will have some extra cash stashed away in your pocket too!