Hey All! Here’s another set of exercises for the park, for these exercises you may want a mat or towel. Try them out and tell me what you think! The photos for this workout were taken at the playground beside the Kinsmen Sports Centre 9100 Walterdale Hill Northwest, Edmonton.
Instead of repetitions, try intervals of 30 to 45 seconds of the exercise and 15 seconds of recovery. If you are just starting to exercise, try a 1 minute rest instead of 15 seconds.
Try to perform these exercises one after the other 3 to 5 times.
Do these exercises 2-5 days a week.
1. Split Squat (Quads/Glutes/Hamstrings/Stability)
- Stand about 2 – 3 feet in front of the swing and place foot on the seat of the swing (either resting on your toe or the top of your foot).
- Make sure your feet are wide enough that the front knee stays behind the toe when you lunge down.
- Once you have your balance, bend at the knees and lower down into a lunge position.
- Return to start by pushing through the front heel to stand up. Repeat for the remaining time and then switch legs.
- Only lunge down as low as you are comfortable with. This exercise does require some flexibility in your hip flexors. If you feel tight in the front of the hips, Switch to regular lunges.
- Make sure your front knee does not go beyond your toe or you risk hurting your knee joint.
2. Modified Pull-Up (Upper Back/Shoulder/Biceps/Grip Strength)
- Take a seat in the swing and then lean back sliding the seat to your upper back and your legs out straight. The seat ends should come up just under your armpit.
- Reach your arms straight up as far as you can reach without leaving the seat.
- Grab the chains firmly, careful not to put your fingers through the links.
- Pull yourself up until your elbows are bent to 90 degrees and then lower back down to start. Repeat until time is up.
- If you find this exercise still to be too difficult, bend your legs at the knee instead of having them straight out.
3. Plank (Core)
- Start by getting on your hands and knees and then placing one foot at a time on the seat of the swing.
- Bring yourself up onto your forearms, elbows under your shoulders, and straighten your legs.
- Engage your core and hold for desired time.
4. Side Plank (Core/Oblique)
- Start the same way as a regular plank.
- Once both feet are on the seat turn so that you legs are stacked on each other, elbow under shoulder, and legs out straight.
- Raise opposite arm straight up and hold for desired time. Repeat on the other side.